Outdoor furniture is a great compliment to your yard and can completely transform the exterior of your home. Outdoor furniture not only improves the style of your yard, it also provides support for enjoying time outside, especially if you have a pool or hot tub. When adding waterproof outdoor cushions to your seating and lounging areas near the pool, it increases the comfort levels of the outdoor furniture. To ensure you are buying the right waterproof outdoor cushions for your yard, consider the following things:
Shape and Size of the Cushion
When choosing waterproof outdoor cushions, it’s essential that they fit on the furniture you have. This means taking the shape and size of the cushion into consideration before purchase. You’ll need to take some time to measure your outdoor furniture to have the correct measurements. This will ensure the perfect fit for your furniture design and will avoid cushions that are too large or too small for your outdoor furniture. Consider the below when measuring your outdoor furniture:
● Width: For width of the furniture, measure how wide the furniture is. For example, in a chair, consider measuring from arm-to-arm to find the width.
● Length: For length of the furniture, measure how long the furniture is. For example, in a chair, consider measuring from the front of the seat to the back of the seat.
● Backrest: For the back of the furniture, measure how big the backrest of the furniture is. For example, in a chair, consider measuring from the bottom of the backrest, to the top of the backrest as well as the width of the backrest from arm-to-arm.
● Depth/height: For the depth of the furniture, measure how high you’d like the cushion to be. For example, in a chair, consider measuring from the bottom of the seat to your desired height.
Fabric of the Cushion
The fabric of the cushion is the exterior material that protects the filling of the cushion. There are multiple different types of materials to choose from that will protect your cushion from things like mold and mildew. It’s also important to ensure the fabric is waterproof in case of rain or if liquids spill on the cushion. Below are a few common types of fabrics for waterproof outdoor cushions:
● Sunbrella: Sunbrella fabric is a high quality material with high longevity and durability. Sunbrella material doesn’t fade, is completely waterproof, chlorine safe, and resistant to mold and mildew.
● Texteline: Textilene is a strong material that is waterproof and resistant to rips from normal wear and tear. However, they tend to get very hot when sitting in the sun and, overtime, their colors tend to fade.
● Olefin: Olefin is strong, high quality material. Olefin is fade resistant, chlorine safe, resistant to mold and mildew, and waterproof.
● Vinyl: Vinyl is strong, waterproof, and simple to clean. However, vinyl can get very hot when sitting in the sun for too long. To avoid vinyl material from getting too hot, it’s a good idea to cover it with an umbrella or put it in a shady area.
Filling of the Cushion
The filling of the cushion is an important aspect when choosing waterproof outdoor cushions. It’s essential to pick a filling that you find comfortable to ensure you will be relaxed when sitting or lounging. The most common filling in cushions is foam. When evaluating the foam, keep the below into consideration:
● Density: How dense do you want your foam? In other words, do you prefer your foam to be firm, or soft? Consider this when choosing a foam to ensure you pick one that suits your comfort level.
● Biocide: Biocide is an important treatment for outdoor cushions. Biocide reduces the growth of fungus in the foam.
Design of the Cushion
The design of the cushion, such as the color and pattern, will compliment your home’s exterior.
The colors and patterns you choose will have an influence on how the space is perceived, so it’s best to pick your design wisely. When considering the design of the cushion, keep in mind the following aspects of your home.
● Landscape: Do you have a large patch of grass? Or perhaps, you have a garden with various flowers and plants. If you have tiles, what color are they? Keep the color of your landscape into consideration, and choose colors that compliment the landscape.
● Your Home: What color is your house? Does your house have a certain style to it? Keep the design of your house into consideration, and choose colors that compliment your home.
● Others: Other items to consider are if your yard has a pool or a hot tub, a bonfire, umbrellas, or a gazebo. Finding colors that go well with these items will compliment the yard.
Caring for the Cushion
When cleaning and caring for your waterproof outdoor cushions, it’s best to review the manufacturers recommendations on how to properly clean your cushions. Manufacturers should provide a manual with cleaning instructions, or they will have instructions listed on their website. If for any reason you can’t find cleaning instructions, you should contact the customer service line and request cleaning instructions. Following the manufacturer’s advice is best to avoid any damage to your pillows.
Check if the cushion has a removable cover that can be machine washed and proceed to clean. If not, a good rule of thumb is to clean dirt and debris regularly by using a mixture of light soap and water. Gently scrub the material to avoid any damage. Ensure you allow ample time for the cushions to dry completely before using them again or storing them. If any water is left behind this could lead to mold or mildew. As mentioned above, always check with the manufacturer to avoid any damage. You never know what kind of chemicals will damage your cushions.
Outdoor furniture is a great compliment to your backyard. Picking the right waterproof outdoor cushion will enhance your lounging experience, especially by the pool or hot tub. When shopping for waterproof outdoor cushions, consider the above items before making a purchase.